Below is what we deemed to be the best mini steppers currently on the market. They where chosen for their build quality ease of use and price.Below is what we deemed to be the best mini steppers currently on the market. They where chosen for their build quality ease of use and price.
- 1 What to look for when choosing a mini stepper
- 2 The Best Mini Stepper
- 3 Goplus Step Air Climber Stepper
- 4 Xiser Commercial Mini Stairmaster
- 5 FP1 Exercise Stepper Mini Step
- 6 Gold's Gym Mini Stepper
- 7 Sunny Health & Fitness Mini Stepper with Resistance Bands
- 8 Sunny Folding Climbing Stepper
- 9 What are the Different Types of Steppers?
- 10 Are Mini Steppers Effective At Getting A Good Workout?
- 11 Benefits
- 12 What muscles do mini steppers work?
- 13 Do mini steppers tone your bum?
What to look for when choosing a mini stepper
- The maximum user weight- It’s important to always check out a mini stepper’s maximum user weight to see if it can accommodate you as the user especially if you are overweight or have a large frame.
- Durability- This is another key feature for consideration as you will find out that some lower end models can be quite unreliable.
- Levels of resistance- As you will come to realize after working out, your leg strength will increase and you need to ensure that there are several levels of resistance to choose from and they should range from very easy to difficult.
- Versatility- This should be considered if it is of importance to your workout program.Some newer mini steppers have resistance bands attached which allow you to work the upper and lower body simultaneously.
- Safety- This without doubt is paramount to any mini stepper that you decide to buy. There are some which can slip around and as such can be unsafe if used on a slippery surface.
- Hydraulic Cylinders- Hydraulic Cylinders are by far the most significant of Mini Steppers’ parts for they determine the amount of time a person can use the Stepper for. A heavy-duty Hydraulic Cylinder would allow the user higher workout time. If you intend to burn quite a few calories in one go, you better go for Mini Steppers with heavy-duty Hydraulic cylinders.
- Display- Most people like to keep track of their workout values. Digital Display is an added feature that lets you track your workout time, step counts and more. Well, if your mini stepper doesn’t have a digital display, you can just use a fitness watch instead. All in all, it shouldn’t be a really significant factor in your decision.
The Best Mini Stepper
Below is what we deemed to be the best mini steppers currently on the market. They where chosen for their build quality ease of use and price.
Goplus Step Air Climber Stepper
The Goplus Step Air Climber comes in two particular models. The model we looked at included the ring holes to attach resistance bands to get an upper body workout but there are models that don’t have the attachments. Dependent on what you are looking for would dictate what model meets your needs.
Maximum Weight Capacity:
Goplus Step Air Climber Stepper can facilitate a majority of users having a weight capacity of 200 lbs.
This one is one of the most compact devices available in the market, measuring 17" x 13" x 9". You can place it anywhere you want. Plus it weighs 14 lbs so you can shift its places without much hassle.
Like most of the steppers we have reviewed the device is cast of heavy-duty steel, so you should have no problems with the product lasting you a long time.
The pedals are strong and sturdy as you would expect at this price point. Furthermore, the height of the pedals can be varied which is nice adjustment feature.
The LCD Display circularly demonstrates the number of calories burnt, time, scan, rep count and total count.
What distinguishes Goplus Step Air Climber Stepper from other Mini Steppers is that it comes with resistance bands. These ensure that you are not just focusing on your lower-body but also on your arms, shoulders, and legs.
Stamina In-Motion Elliptical trainer
The Stamina In-Motion Elliptical trainer is definitely one of the nicer looking steppers on the market. The fact it comes in three different color options is a nice bonus.
The product is really light, weighing 24 lbs, and hence can be shifted from one place to another. You can even carry it to work. Plus, it is compact (measuring 24” X 20” X 12”) ensuring that you don’t need to worry about storage.
The pedals are spacious enough to accommodate all sizes. The ‘non-slip’ provides the stability but it is little harder to get the balance right compared to the standard stepper motion.
It has a good range of tension adjustment which should give even die-hard fitness freak a good workout. The lowest setting for me felt a little loose but simply adjusting it up a little felt like a better stride.
Multiple Movement Options:
You can use Stamina In-Motion Elliptical trainer as per your convenience- sitting, standing, working, and even playing.
This particular model was a bit nosier than some of the others on the market but not so much that it would bother anyone else in the room.
Xiser Commercial Mini Stairmaster
One of the most desirable mini steppers out there, the Xiser Commercial Mini Stairmaster is ideal for gaining optimum physical and health fitness. The price tag on the product speaks for itself and although you may need to break the bank for this one, it is all worth it. Let’s discuss a few of its features.
The product is exceeding durable given it is cast of airframe alloy. Unlike other products, this one has been completely made in America which makes it more reliable. Indeed the company is so confident about the quality of the product that they have offered a 5-year consumer warranty and 1-year institutional one.
Maximum Weight Capacity
Xiser Commercial Mini Stairmaster can withstand weight in excess of 400 pounds. Regardless of how overweight you are, you can use the machine.
Xiser Commercial Mini Stepper weighs only 14 lbs making it convenient to shift in to place.
How often have you called in for technical help because you failed to understand the basic construct of the product? Well, you won’t experience such an issue here because the product would be delivered to you fully assembled.
Adjusting the resistance is not as easy as some other models becasuse you need to use a coin or a screw driver to turn the resistance screw. This could become a bit of an issue if you want to constantly adjust the resistance.
Xiser Commercial Mini Stepper has a patented hydraulic system with Silicone fluid for smooth and quiet operation.
The pedals are a good size fit most people with even the largest shoe size. One point to note is the pedals are solid metal as opposed to other models with rubber grips. This is something to keep in mind if you want to use the stepper barefoot as it could be a little uncomfortable.
FP1 Exercise Stepper Mini Step
This a nice entry level stepper with the added twist functionality to incorporate more muscle groups. The price point is also a great for the type of stepper your getting.
Maximum Weight Capacity:
It has a weight capacity of 220 lbs. It is suitable for fit to slightly overweight individuals. If you are a really bulky individual, you better look out for some other products in the market.
FP1 Exercise Stepper Mini Step Swivel Elliptical Trainer is exceedingly portable. You can shift it from one place to another without much effort. Plus, it is compact, size 17 inches by 16 inches by 11 inches so you can just roll it under the table.
Made out of heavy-duty steel, is as sturdy as it gets. Don’t worry, it has a long lifespan so you can just ignore the thought and focus on achieving your fitness goals.
The monitor can track your workout values, i.e. scan timer, calories, RPMS, and count.
The product has oversized pedals so you don’t need to worry about your foot size. The foot plates are slip resistant, making for a nice firm grip.
With the twist action, the device focuses on many body parts. You can tone both your upper body and lower body without putting extra strain on your joints.
The 2 hydraulic cylinders create for a nice smooth action but are little nosier than the Xiser.
Gold's Gym Mini Stepper
This mini stepper has a design that is very compact and easy to use and doesn’t take up much space.
It’s well balanced frame can support up to 250 pounds while the inbuilt electric monitor can track the number of calories that a person has burned, the step count and time that has been spent per session.
Both the machine’s pedals are large, patterned and produce a rolling action that is smooth and gentle on the bones and joints. On the other hand its feet that are rubberized are a boost to stability plus they help to protect your floors.
Maximum Weight Capacity
This particular model can happily hold upto 250 pounds in weight. I't also only weighs just over 13 pounds so it is easy to setup and move around when required.
As sturdy as they come, the mini stepper is cast out of high-quality materials ensuring durability.
Well, the pedals are spacious enough to harbor ‘Big Foot’. You don’t need to worry about that. Your feet feel like they have a fair amount of grip whist in a stepping motion and you won’t need to worry about them slipping off unless you are really going at it like a mad man.
The exercise machine has a monitor for you to keep track of your workout. This includes the time, calories burnt and steps.
Low Impact Workout:
Unlike some cheaper steppers, Gold’s Gym Mini Stepper isn’t hard on your joints, especially the knees. The movement of this stepper feels vert natural and not forced.
Sunny Health & Fitness Mini Stepper with Resistance Bands
This is a very basic stepper and if all that you want is stepping then it just fits right in, but the great thing about this stepper is that it comes with resistance bands which allow you to work the upper and lower body. Although the display is very basic you do get a lot of stepper for the money.
Maximum Weight Capacity:
Sunny Health and Fitness Mini Stepper with Resistance Bands can withstand weight in excess of 250 lbs hence covering the majority of the population. Most of your family members and friends can be accommodated.
Weighing just 14.5 lbs, the machine is lightweight. Most people shouldn’t have difficulty lifting it. It is one of the most compact devices too and can slip into any place regardless of size.
The frame is made out of industrial steel ensuring flawless durability. The rust-resistant material means it won’t rode away anytime soon.
The grip ensures that you remain stable in most vigorous of workouts. The oversized foot plates ensure that the device accommodates all sizes.
Sunny Health and Fitness Mini Stepper has a knob for you to adjust resistance. Anyone with little prior knowledge of workout would know that increasing difficulty levels is instrumental towards progress. The device provides you the convenience to manage resistance levels with a twist of an arm.
Sunny Health and Fitness Mini Stepper comes with 2 detachable resistance bands. What do resistance bands do? Firstly they increase stability, ensuring security. Secondly, they make sure that the lower-body is not the only part of the body getting worked out. So if you are looking for toning the upper-body as well, go for Sunny Health and Fitness Mini Stepper with Resistance Bands.
It has a screen where you can keep a track of your progress. This includes calories, time, count, and the number of steps per minute. This can really help keep you focused on your goal.
Built with the Hydraulic drive system helps to provide a seamless experience.
Sunny Folding Climbing Stepper
This is another good offering from Sunny which is competitively priced in the market. The machine offers a superb low impact cardiovascular workout.
This stepper comes fully equipped with 12 levels of resistance which perform an excellent job in varying out your workout. The lower resistance levels are perfect for beginners and the higher level resistance is enough to give most fitness fanatics a good workout.
It’s all thanks to the resistance cylinders which offer a good smooth stepping action. What is really loved however is the fact that this is a very quiet machine.
The pedals’ edges have a raised ridge and this makes it unlikely that a person’s feet may slide off while exercising which is common with cheaper stepper models.
Display isn’t anything special. It monitors everything that a person expects it to like step count, calories and time. The screen is also very easy to read even from a standing height.
It’s an easy task assembling this machine and it should take a person about ten minutes setting it up. All that needs to be done is attaching one of the pistons and the handlebars to the machine’s main unit.Everything needed for assembly such as washers and bolts have also been provided by the company. Storage of the unit is also very easy as the folding mechanism is a blessing.
What are the Different Types of Steppers?
- Mini: Mini Steppers is basically a compact version of stepper machines. Although not as effective as their parent machines, Mini Steppers can help you with the cardio-based workout. Due to lower impact, they aren’t harsh onto the joints and the reduced size increases mobility. Furthermore, you can get them at a lower cost. Summing it all up, they offer you the same facility but are lighter upon your pockets.
- Twist: The twist stepper is nothing more than a Mini Stepper except that it comes with an added feature-the pedal twist. The twist feature makes it more effective at toning the lower-body as you are not only working out the glutes and the hamstrings but the inner and outer muscles as well. Furthermore, the machine helps you with the abdominal muscles and oblique. As effective as they are, you must consider them as viable alternatives to Mini Steppers.
- Stair: Stair Steppers are heavier and larger than Mini Steppers and obviously more expensive too. Subsequently, they are more effective too, burning the same amount of calories in lesser time. Found mostly in gyms, they come in two types, i.e. manual and motorized. As the name suggests, motorized steppers work with electricity to optimize workout. Doesn’t this sound similar? Yes, you guessed it right! Stair steppers bear striking resemblance to treadmills, except that their motion mimics that of climbing.
- Elliptical: These machines bear striking resemblance to stair steppers. Indeed it is difficult to contrast between the two on first look. What, however, differentiates the two is that Elliptical Steppers are more effective than their Stair counterparts. Why is this so? Basically, elliptical stairs have more horizontal movement as compared to the vertical one. Hence, the user is not only moving his legs but the arms as well. According to Healthstatus.com, a 150-pound man on Stair stepper would burn 80 calories in 10 minutes. On the elliptical stepper, however, he would burn 129 calories on average. That is a 50 percent gap! Bulky and expensive as they are, Elliptical Steppers are more often found in the gym.
Are Mini Steppers Effective At Getting A Good Workout?
When compared to larger steppers, mini steppers aren’t as good in workout quality overall but do offer an affordable, portable and convenient means of supplementing a person’s daily exercise routine.
The mini stepper provides a good option if you are looking for ways to burn additional calories throughout the day. If you for instance decide to use a mini stepper at your desk, this could help you burn around 100 calories extra every 60 minutes. Standing and vigorously moving on your mini stepper also means that even more calories are expended but it doesn’t burn as many calories. A full sized stepper’s power of burning is around 450 calories every hour for a person who is 155 pounds.
Mini steppers work a person’s lower body toning the hips and legs. During continues use you can expect some improvement in toning of the muscles in the area previously mentioned.
The stepping motion used while exercising replicates that of walking. According to Mayo Clinic, using mini-stepper for over 150 minutes a week can improve your cardiovascular system. One thing, though, each workout needs to be of 10 plus minutes. Anything lesser and you won’t benefit your cardiovascular health. This may seem high-end but 20-30 minutes daily on a mini stepper can avert numerous diseases, including Cancer.
The mini stepper is a compact work out equipment that can be easily moved from one place to another. While larger steppers are definitely more effective, it is the portability of the mini stepper that makes it more advantageous. Imagine you need to stay the night at a friend’s place but don’t intend to risk your work out, you can just take the mini stepper along. Plus, you can take it to work if you don’t like sitting at the desk all day.
Mini Steppers are available for a half/quarter of the price of Steppers. You can get them without casting a huge hole in your pockets and both basically do the same thing. They may not be as effective as the steppers but get the job done. At the end of the day, it all comes down to the effort you put in and not the machine. This coupled with their portability (something larger ones don’t have), gives them the edge.
What muscles do mini steppers work?
A mini stepper’s motion mimics climbing of stairs and can provide a good cardio workout for burning fat. It also helps in toning the soleus and gastrocnemius muscles which compose the calves; the gluteus medius, gluteus maximus, ; gluteus minimus and tensor fasciae latae muscles located in a person’s glutes;hamstrings and quadriceps in the thighs. A number of mini steppers lack handles for holding unlike machines located in the gym which means that your body is forced to engage the core muscles so that balance can be kept. There are some mini steppers that come with resistance bands for working out your arms and upper body.
Do mini steppers tone your bum?
If you really want to whip the rear end into shape, the stepper can be very helpful. Working out the glutes and legs, the stepper builds muscle tissue which perks up and shapes the bum. To be clear, this machine doesn’t spot remove fat from the bum. You need to eat fewer calories than what you burn as this leads to fat loss throughout the body.
How the mini stepper helps
With each stepper motion, your thigh and gluteal muscles are contracted. This provides strength and toning to the butt and over time providing lift. For a workout that is fuller, you may even use this machine backwards if your model can guarantee doing this safely. You still will engage the glutes but reach different areas.
So, we considered 7 of the best Mini Steppers available in the market. The winner is evident- Xiser Commercial Mini Stairmaster wins hands down. There is nothing like a perfect Mini Stepper, but if there is something closest to perfection, it is Xiser Commercial Mini Stairmaster. What makes it the best? Well, everything, starting from the durability to the capacity. If you can afford the price tag, just go for it.
FP1 Exercise Stepper Mini Step Swivel Elliptical came a close second, edging out Sunny Health and Fitness Mini Stepper with Resistance Bands. What differentiates it from others? Firstly, you can get it for peanuts. Secondly, it is versatile and durable. That combination is often difficult to find.
Hi I’m James and I’m a self confessed fitness fanatic. When I’m not personal training I enjoy multi discipline endurance events, mma and hitting the gym. I also love to write about my passion and I’m a firm believer in healthy body healthy mind.