The Ez (meaning ‘easy’) curl bar is the mother of all bicep builders. Shaped with a zig-zag design, it has a great focus on the necessary upper body muscle group.
The Unique shape of ez bar allows you to target muscles in ways that are not possible with a standard straight bar.
Unfortunately the quality of some of the bars on the market are not great, but we have managed to sort through the rubbish and bring you our top 5.
- 1 The Top 5 Best Ez Curl Bars
- 2 1. XMark Olympic EZ Curl Bar
- 3 2. CAP Barbell EZ Curl Bar
- 4 3. Champion Barbell E-Z Curl Bar
- 5 4. BodySolid EZ Curl Olympic Bar
- 6 5. Marcy Olympic Curl Bar
- 7 Buyers Guide
- 8 How to Use EZ Curl Bars
- 9 Benefits of EZ Bar Curls
- 10 Exercises to Perform With EZ Curl Bars
- 11 Summary
- 12 Frequently Asked Questions
The Top 5 Best Ez Curl Bars
Add the Ez Curl Bar to your arsenal of workout equipment and you’ll be sure to have a competitive advantage over your gym counterparts.
Here are the top 5 Ez Curl Bar’s out on the market, with some pros and cons for you to consider:
There are two different types of sleeve sizes:
- The Olympic sleeves which are 2 inches in diameter
- Regular size sleeve which is 1 inch in diameter
Which sleeve you decide to go for will be dipendant on your current weight plate sets. If you currently have olmpic plates opt for XMark EZ Curl Bar or the Marcy bar. Those with regular plates should choose the CAP Barbell EZ Curl Bar.
Each bar has a slightly different bend and are angled slightly differently, meaning no two bars are the same. Which angles suit you best is very much down to personal preference.
In my own experience I have found that the majority of the bars are adequate for most people, those that do have to shop around are those that are particularly broad or those that have had wrist injuries.
The knurling is the way the metal on the bar has been milled on a lathe to create the grip pattern. A good knurling means a comfortable non slip grip. As you begin to lift heavy weights the knurling becomes more import, allowing you to concentrate on the lift and not having to worry about the bar slipping.
If you want your bar to look the part as wells as do the job you are going to care about the finish.
Most bars are just stand chrome finish but you can get the option of powder coated. The problem with the powder coating is that it can tend to rub off over time but they tend to look nicer from the onset.
Again choosing your finish will come down to personal preference.
How to Use EZ Curl Bars
The first thing to note is you can have the best ez bar in the world but unless you have the correct form you are not going to see the maximum gains and there is a chance you can injure yourself.
First some pointers on the correct posture:
- Straight! – With your posture, make sure that your back is straight and that you are standing upright.
- Keep a stable head position – don’t underestimate the power of maintaining a good straight head position. It automatically assists with your entire posture.
- Breathing technique – Exhale when you’re bring the bar to your chest and inhale when you bring the bar down.
Performing a Bicep Curl With an EZ curl bar
There are many other arm workouts you can do with the Ez bar but the most poluar are bicep curls and tricep extensions.
Benefits of EZ Bar Curls
If you’ve used normal barbells, expect the same benefits with just a bit extra from the Ez Curl Bars.
You’ll notice the Ez Bar from anywhere in the gym by its distinctive curve and bend, but did you know that this shape has many unseen benefits you may not know of?
If you want to know how an ez bar compares to a straight bar we have written an article about the differences.
Exercises to Perform With EZ Curl Bars
The pretzel shaped Ez Bar Curl is one of the most versatile workout equipment out there. Here are the top 5 recommended exercises to be done with it:
- Bicep Curls – Stand up straight, making a V-shape with your legs allowing a firm stance to pick the bar up. Pick the bar on the outside portion of the curve, and bring it up towards your chest, as you would with a standard barbell curl. Inhale and bring the bar back down to the starting position. Be sure to do this as part of a set, and you could alternate it with slow and fast sets.
- Close-Grip Bicep Curl – Grip the bar on the inside of the curves. Do the curl as mentioned above. This focuses the workout on your forearms in particular. A variation is to attach bands to either end the bar. Do the curl as mentioned with the bands on either end, but be sure to place your one foot in the middle of the bar, to ensure stability of your position.
- Triceps press to chin with Ez Bar – Get ready for your forearms to feel the burn! You’ll need a flat bench for this, and lie flat on your back. Your head should be a bit off the bench. Grab the bar on the inner handle, ensuring that your palms are facing outwards. Hold the bar over your chest with extended arms. It should now be at a 90 degree angle. From here, move your arms in a semi-circular motion. Bend your elbows whilst maintain your posture elsewhere. Lower the bar, and as the title suggest – lower it down to your chin! Repeat as required.
- The spider curl – You’ll firstly need a preacher bench to complete this workout. Balance the Ez bar on the seated part of the preacher bench. Your body should be in a 45 degrees slant, ensuring that it is firmly placed against the preacher bench for stability. Subsequently, make sure your feet are firmly placed on the ground. Place your palms facing upwards and lift the Ez bar and hold the position for a while. Bring it down slowly (be sure to do it slowly!) and repeat the recommended amount of times.
If you’re serious about gaining some serious muscle, get yourself the best ez curl bar which is without doubt the XMark Fitness bar. It is not too expensive, but is a step up from other Ez Bar curls on the market. It will however last long and be sure to cater to your exact need because of its versatility.
Ez Curl Bars are just that – ‘easy’ bars that will really make your workouts exciting and double the effectiveness. It’s not complicated, recommended by most fitness experts and certainly fun to use as well. Get in and start curling!
The XMark Olympic EZ Curl Bar was our number one choice for the best ez bar. The bar is solidly built and great for the heavier lifters, but if you don't want to lift heavy or use olympic weight plates the CAP Barbell is a great alternative.
Hopefully you have been able to find a bar from our top 5 that suit your needs and budget.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an EZ bar used for?
An EZ bar can be used for a variety of different exercises but is most commonly used for bicep curls and triceps extensions.
How heavy is an Olympic EZ curl bar?
Olympic EZ curl bars weights vary from 10-25 pounds.
How to hold an EZ Curl Bars
With palms facing upwards hold the bar at the outer most grip for a standard bicep curls or you can grip narrow to complete narrow grip bicep curls.
Enter your text here...