The Ez (meaning ‘easy’) curl bar is the mother of all bicep builders. Shaped with a zig-zag design, it has a great focus on the necessary upper body muscle group.
The Unique shape of ez bar allows you to target muscles in ways that are not possible with a standard straight bar. Unfortunatly the quality of some of the bars on the market are not great but we have managed to sort through the rubbish and bring you our top 5.
- 1 1. XMark EZ Curl Bar
- 2 2. CAP Barbell EZ Curl Bar
- 3 3. Champion Barbell E-Z Curl Bar
- 4 4. BodySolid EZ Curl Olympic Bar
- 5 5. Marcy Olympic Curl Bar
- 6 Frequently Asked Questions
The Top 5 Best Ez Curl Bars
Add the Ez Curl Bar to your arsenal of workout equipment and you’ll be sure to have a competitive advantage over your gym counterparts. Here are the top 5 Ez Curl Bar’s out on the market, with some pros and cons for you to consider:
1. XMark EZ Curl Bar
The sole reason that the Xmark fitness bar is lauded as the best EZ curl bar on the market is due to its tough double chrome plated steel structure. This means that it caters to weight up to 400lb! It contains soft padding, and has an easy and moulded grip.
The shaft is made of black manganese phosphate which means over the long run, the product is corrosion and abrasion free.
The Xmark uses the Olympic weight plates which make it ideal for heavy lifts.
- The initial bar weight is heavier than most, which allows for more stability with the grip.
- The bend in the XMark EZ Curl Bar accommodates all users palm grip.
- Heavy duty = longevity!
You know it won’t be a waste of money if you purchase the XMark EZ Curl Bar. It’s extremely reliable. Once you have it, it’ll last for a long time, so it’s worth the investment.
2. CAP Barbell EZ Curl Bar
The CAP Barbell EZ Curl Bar is one of the most popular curl bars out there. This is based on the fact of its reliability and also it being able to cater to any body type. It’s made of solid chromed steel, with a standard 200lb weight capacity. The steel finish gives it a lovely aesthetic finish.
3. Champion Barbell E-Z Curl Bar
When the Champion barbell Ez Curl Bar is mentioned in gymming circles, there are immediately smiles all round. It is a known contributor to explosive muscle gains. It’s sturdy and is found in most gyms, and also can easily be used at home. The standard size is 1 inch, weighing 21.4 pounds. It’s easy to put together if you do happen to purchase it.
- Is one of the most affordable Ez Bar curls on the market
- Does not have a fixed weight, so you’re not limited.
- Comes with speed clip.
If you’re into intermediate working out, this bar is not for you. Use it as stepping stone with for greater weights and workouts in future. If you’re a beginner, then this is perfect.
4. BodySolid EZ Curl Olympic Bar
Talk about an Ez Curl Bar with a nice aesthetic finish. The Body Solid Z Curl Olympic Bar offers the best of both worlds – a great reliable workout whilst achieving maximum gains. One of the key pull features is the safety component which it brings. The angled dual grip ensures that there is minimum damage to your elbows and wrists, and reduces any possible wear and tear to your body. The angled dual grips also targets both inner and outer bicep muscles, so it’s really a great piece of equipment.
- The bar can sometimes leave black mark on your hands after a workout
- Great durability and easy to store anywhere
- The bar can sometimes leave black mark on your hands after a workout
- Collars not included
5. Marcy Olympic Curl Bar
The Marcy Olympic Curl Bar caters more for the beginner market. The bar itself is lightweight, with a no-slip grip and wide grip for all preferences. It is a bit more expensive than some of its counterparts, because it normally comes in a set with some dumbbell bars. The chrome solid steel finish gives this product a nice finish.
Whilst doing some preacher curls on this bar feels solid enough in the hand, I don't think you can beat the xmark for looks and durability.
This bar is great if you are just starting out because of the addition of the dumbbell bars and the collars, but more experienced lifters would be better off with some of the other bars mentioned.
How to Use an EZ Bar
The first thing you would notice about an Ez Bar is its peculiar shape. Without prior knowledge or seeing someone else doing it, the grip may be uncomfortable or just awkward. Moreover, without proper posture, you really won’t get the maximum benefit out of the EZ Bar, and you may injure yourself. So here are 4 guidelines when you’re using it:
- Straight! – With your posture, make sure that your back is straight and that you are standing upright.
- Keep a stable head position – don’t underestimate the power of maintaining a good straight head position. It automatically assists with your entire posture.
- Breathing technique – Exhale when you’re bring the bar to your chest and inhale when you bring the bar down.
So now that you clear on how to actually use it, without hurting yourself and allowing yourself to get the maximum benefit, get behind your Ez bar and get ready to build some muscle.
As mentioned above, maintain your upright straight posture and grab the Ez curl bar on the outer handles. In this exercise, you want to focus on the muscle group at play, which is your Biceps. Thus, try and not move any other parts unnecessarily. Take the bar and curl it forward. Continue this until you’ve gone through the full motion of the bar, which should now be at the height of your shoulders. Bring it back down and then do it again. This is just one type of workout that is used to demonstrate how it should be used.
Benefits of EZ Bar Curls
If you’ve used normal barbells, expect the same benefits with just a bit extra from the Ez Bar Curls. You’ll notice the Ez Bar from anywhere in the gym by its distinctive curve and bend, but did you know that this shape has many unseen benefits you may not know of?
- Firstly, the curved shape allows for an easier grip and allows a more firm hold of your palms on the grip. So from a workout safety point of view, it serves a great purpose.
- Secondly the Ez is easier to grip, which reduces the stress placed on the wrist and elbow. This relieves any strain that occurs naturally overtime when using barbells. It makes it less painful.
- Thirdly, you’ll notice that when you grip the Ez bar on the outer part of the curve, you’ll notice that your arms take an automatic position. It places your wrists and elbows in a natural workout position. The benefit of this is in the consistency in which you’ll workout your relevant muscle group because of the correct placement of your palms on the bar. Sports therapists recommend the use of this bar if you have had any previous writs or elbow injuries.
- And Finally, It’s easy to use! Hence the name “EZ bar”. You’ll get the hang of it within minutes of picking it up.
If you want to know how an ez bar compares to a straight bar we have written an article about the differences.
EZ Bar Curl Exercises
The pretzel shaped Ez Bar Curl is one of the most versatile workout equipment out there. Here are the top 5 recommended exercises to be done with it:
- The Ez Bar Bicep Curl – Stand up straight, making a V-shape with your legs allowing a firm stance to pick the bar up. Pick the bar on the outside portion of the curve, and bring it up towards your chest, as you would with a standard barbell curl. Inhale and bring the bar back down to the starting position. Be sure to do this as part of a set, and you could alternate it with slow and fast sets.
- Close-Grip Bicep Curl – Grip the bar on the inside of the curves. Do the curl as mentioned above. This focuses the workout on your forearms in particular. A variation is to attach bands to either end the bar. Do the curl as mentioned with the bands on either end, but be sure to place your one foot in the middle of the bar, to ensure stability of your position.
- Triceps press to chin with Ez Bar – Get ready for your forearms to feel the burn! You’ll need a flat bench for this, and lie flat on your back. Your head should be a bit off the bench. Grab the bar on the inner handle, ensuring that your palms are facing outwards. Hold the bar over your chest with extended arms. It should now be at a 90 degree angle. From here, move your arms in a semi-circular motion. Bend your elbows whilst maintain your posture elsewhere. Lower the bar, and as the title suggest – lower it down to your chin! Repeat as required.
- The spider curl – You’ll firstly need a preacher bench to complete this workout. Balance the Ez bar on the seated part of the preacher bench. Your body should be in a 45 degrees slant, ensuring that it is firmly placed against the preacher bench for stability. Subsequently, make sure your feet are firmly placed on the ground. Place your palms facing upwards and lift the Ez bar and hold the position for a while. Bring it down slowly (be sure to do it slowly!) and repeat the recommended amount of times.
If you’re serious about gaining some serious muscle, get yourself the best ez curl bar which is without doubt the XMark. It is not too expensive, but is a step up from other Ez Bar curls on the market. It will however last long and be sure to cater to your exact need because of its versatility.
Ez Curl Bars are just that – ‘easy’ bars that will really make your workouts exciting and double the effectiveness. It’s not complicated, recommended by most fitness experts and certainly fun to use as well. Get in and start curling!
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an EZ bar used for?
An EZ bar can be used for a variety of different exercises but is most commonly used for bicep curls and triceps extensions.
How heavy is an Olympic EZ curl bar?
Olympic EZ bar weights vary from 10-25 pounds.
How to hold an EZ Bar
With palms facing upwards hold the bar at the outer most grip for a standard bicep curls or you can grip narrow to complete narrow grip bicep curls.